Monday, March 6, 2017

Paul Gowder Feature

For this project, I chose to interview a photographer that I am greatly inspired by.  His name is Paul Gowder, and he is the founder/photographer of Powwows.com  He was very nice to talk to, and prompt at responding to emails.  

1)  What inspired you to become a photographer?
     I started doing photography very young.  I would try to recreate scenes from my favorite movies – Star Wars – with the figures.

2)  When you were just starting off, how did you make connections with other photographers; how did you 'get famous’?
   When I started shooting more as an adult, I used online communities to reach out and learn from other photographers.  Flickr was one of the places I used often.  I could see other people’s work and talk to them about it.

3)  When you were just starting out, did you have another job that you did; if so, what was it?
     I still have a day job!  I’m a Project Manager with the South Carolina Attorney General.

4)  How did you decide to create powows.com?
     I built pages in graduate school to teach myself html.  I built them on things I knew about.  The one on Pow Wows took off from the start.  As I got more and more comments, I setup a bulletin board for people to contact.  That lead to the site growing more and more.

5)  How did you get it to what it is today?
    I continue to nurture and build community.  I listened to what people needed and wanted, and then built that.  It was a slow process, the site was started in 1996.

Here is some of his work:







No comments:

Post a Comment