Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Jeremy Imig Interview by Sierra Freeman

This is Jeremy Imig. I went to school with Jeremy's sisters. So when I asked him if I could interview him for a class he was more than happy to answer any questions I had. He works for Both the Portland Winterhawks hockey team, and the Portland Timbers soccer team.

 
http://winterhawks.com/business-staff/

My first question to Jeremy was "What is your exact job in the Film industry?"

This was his answer:
"I work both for the Portland Timbers and the portland Winterhawks.
For the Timbers I am a camera operator for the in-house show. I usually run the camera on the field for most of the games as well as for other events held at Providence Park.
For The Winterhawks, I am the Broadcast Production Manager. My job there entails a lot more than just operating a camera. I am in charge of creating all videos to be played at the games, TV commercials, and online features. This requires me to not only film the h=games, but to come in during the week and edit these videos together."

This is some of his work!
https://vimeo.com/jeremyimig

Then I backed up a little bit and asked him "How did you get started in this industry?" 

Answer: "I started making movies when i was about 14. My brothers and sisters and I would make them in our bakcyard and then I would use Windows Movie Maker to put it all together. It just progressed from there. I started working for the Portland Timbers (as well as the Portland Beavers Baseball when they were in Portland) in 2008. I joined the Winterhawks in 2009." 

Question: "Did you major in Film? Or go to college to become a filmmaker? "

Answer: "I actually never majored in Film. I am mostly self-taught, but take classes every now and then pertaining to what I might be wanting to learn more about. Experience is a good teacher, but is even better if combined with book-smarts." 

Question: "What is the hardest part of your job?" 

Answer: "The hardest part about my job is probably the deadlines. Often times I'll record something that will need to be put together by the end of the day, because that is when it will be airing on TV. It can be stressful sometimes, but you get used to it." 

My last question... "Do you have any advice for someone just starting out in the video field?" 

Answer: "The best advice i can give someone who wants to get into Film is to make movies. If you are going to school for film, Great! Put what you are learning to use. Like the saying goes, "Practice makes perfect." Don't stop creating, because the experience you get making movies is priceless. To get a job in the Film world, the biggest factor that employers look at is whether or not you have experience in filmmaking. They generally want to see a reel of some sort." 

Talking with Jeremy was so helpful especially encouraging me to join this program. This interview was definitely a reminder of all the things that I have learned over this first year. Its cool to see that all of the things that Jack and all of our other instructors say are actually being used in people I know who are striving in the video world. 





No comments:

Post a Comment