Sunday, May 21, 2017

Videographer Krista Alexander By Matt Krajicek


This is the lady that was so kind to return my email request for an interview. This Woman totally kicks ass! Here website is amazing. Loaded with a reel of Documentaries, Combat Stories, Humanitarian Aid, Travel Spots, Entertainment, Marketing and Business.
She has a great experience page and a top notch services layout.


Krista Alexander

Corvallis, Oregon

14 years of video production experience, including writing, producing, filming, hosting, narrating and editing. Credits include Black Snake Moan, Walk the Line, PBS, CNN, FOX, CBS, American Idol, and 4 years as a Broadcast Journalist/Videographer with the U.S. Army. I've filmed award-winning documentaries, combat footage, travel spots, internal business videos, non-profit coverage, social media marketing, and entertainment shows. My skill-set ranges from both run-and-gun styles to more in-depth narrative and set productions in every crew position.
I have been in the industry since 2004.
https://www.facebook.com/krista.j.alexander
https://www.productionhub.com/profiles/details/313997
check out her reel here:



These are the interview questions i asked her:

1. What are some of the favorite parts of your job?

As a freelancer, I love that I don't have to work 9-5, 5 days a week and that there is something new all the time. I had a job as a media producer at a software company on Daniel Island, SC... and I hated it. Same people every day, same cubicle, florescent lights, and, most of all, a lack of interest in the product I was creating. Now that I've started my own videography business, it's completely different. Even if the stories aren't that interesting, I take my pride in my work because it's mine. 

2. What was the catalyst that made you think, " I want to do this for a living."

I got my first internship when I was 16 working in the casting department of the movie Walk the Line, filmed in Memphis,TN. The following year I worked on set for Black Snake Moan. Those movies showed me a glimpse inside the industry where a lot of people are single or not faithful to their partner, drink very excessively, and often caught up in the ego-side of the business. I knew I wanted a family - so thats what I concentrated on. It took a few years for me to get back into it, but now that I've established my own personal life, I feel I am far more likely to succeed then if I didn't have those things that are important to me (family). So, to answer your question: I always knew I wanted to work in the film world, I just had to do it on my own terms. 

3. Does the technology in this field ever intimidate you? There is so much stuff to learn.

The last time I really worked solo in video production was when we were still using tape and there was a lot more gadgets to get everything ready to edit. Now, it's so much simpler. A lot of that knowledge is like riding a bike. Also, there are SO many resources out there where people gladly share their tech knowledge for free (youtube!). An editor for a national commercial I worked on recently told me to check out www.lynda.com. The website costs a little bit, but the resources are superior. 

4. With 14 years experience, what advice would you give yourself 14 years ago?

My 14 years of experience includes me living life fully. In military basic training at the age of 18, I was told by a very kind man that if I really wanted to create good stories, I needed to experience life. So I did. I went to combat, traveled Europe, started a family, and so much more. My B.A. degree is in Humanities which I truly believe has allowed me to see the world in a more artistic way and I feel positively effects my videos. I would tell myself to live a life that would allow me to see things from a unique and different perspective. 

5. What's the one job in your profession that would be your dream job?

 I love doing everything. That's how I learned. My projects are always an accumulation of my own work. However, the professional world requires specialization. I really love coming up with how things will be seen - cinematography. How can we view this to really get the most dynamic effect - to really capture the emotion? I also enjoy editing - the final say of how things come across. In my opinion, I would say editors are the most crucial aspect of the whole production. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment