Sunday, March 18, 2018

Hannah Ammons - Interview with Hal Harrison

Interview with Hal Harrison


Which photographers influenced you, and how did they influence your thinking, photographing, and career path?

My father, got me involved in photography and took me to aspen Colorado to the photos and bought me a film camera and I feel in love with photography. By 21 I took up photography and was living paycheck to paycheck. Until I got my first Nikon and it was the closest thing to a film camera at the time. 



How did you get your foot in the door working higher up in Portland?
Started shooting at a fashion show and continued for five years and thats how I climbed up to have my status in Portland. Also, you want to be honest while shooting and pointing out the things the little things, if something is off or incorrect, I'm going to speak up about it. It's key, if a model has something in her teeth or I don't like the pose, I tell them upfront. 



Exactly what it is you want to say with your photographs, and how do you actually get your photographs to do that?
Not necessarily what I want to say but the vocabulary you use. That means I can only bluntly convey what I want to shoot. I have challenged myself, “can I do that?” If I like someone else’s style, I can duplicate it, not forever but for that photography skill or vocabulary. If someone comes to me and asks me to do something, I can do it. A different way to do things or convey things.



How do you get paid to do what you want to do with your photography? 

Fashion shows, workshops, I have people who are asking for some currently. Im confidently working on monitonizing one days work of effort, for an example if you shoot a wedding, every shot you shoot is valueable. Every single day you make money whether your shooting are not.



From your point of view, what makes a good picture?

Thats tough, when someone hires me, its when someone looks at it and says “thats it.” But if its art for me and it stuns me. I’m not the type of person that says that this is my art and this what I do. In addition to that, when I do out with a model and take a photograph, I expect to go out and comeback and comeback with at least three, just three good ones. I don’t want to be a one trick pony.



What motivates you to continue taking pictures economically, politically, intellectually or emotionally?

When I don’t need money, economy comes first. Emotionally, I’m most drawn to love. It’s the primary thing, so when I shoot weddings I capture emotions really well, they comment that I captured the essence of who they are.



Nowadays almost everyone has access to devices with which it is possible to take pictures. What do you think is the difference between a professional photographer and any other hobby photographer?

Two things, that they make money with their photography and two, they market themselves well. Thats the difference, some professionals use equipment that is older, and theres some hobby photographers have the latest stuff. The difference is not equipment or skill level, but they are attempting to gather clients.



What, in your opinion, is most important to consider while shooting portrait pictures?
In your free time, what kind of pictures do you like to shoot and which ones do you avoid? 


I avoid smoking, my mother got cancer, so I don’t like to glamorize it. I enjoy shooting compelling images. I shoot attractive women and try to make them see how beautiful they are compared to how they feel when they look in the mirror.



No comments:

Post a Comment