Thursday, March 15, 2018

Sazhil Lopez- Informational Interview


   Haley Graham is a Portland portrait photographer, she loves anything related too pop culture, family, and friends photography.


Which photographer influenced you, how did they influence your thinking, photographing, and career path?
I was always super inspired by a photographer in Seattle named Michelle Moore- her senior work in years past was always so beautiful to me. She has changed her style a little bit since then and no longer shoots seniors so I don't look to her for inspo quite as much anymore, but she definitely influenced me when I was starting out. 

What was your career path? How did you get from being an aspiring photographer to actually doing it full time, for a living? 
I started taking senior pictures just for fun for my friends when I was in high school, and then my first summer before college I took a bunch for the class below me and realized I wanted to do this for a career. I went to U of O and all through college I would come back to Portland and shoot photos, especially during the summer, and so by the time I graduated in 2012 I had built up enough of a clientele and business that it became my full-time job, and has been since then!


What motivates you to continue taking pictures? 
I just always feel inspired, especially on nice sunny days, I just want to get out there! It's also really amazing when I know that one of my senior girls feels awesome after her senior shoot and loves her photos! 

How did you develop an interest in photography? 
I just always loved taking pictures of my friends throughout high school, I'm not really sure the exact point it started at!

How did you educate yourself to take better pictures? 
Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice! You can read every book in the world but until you go out and practice it won't make any difference!


What is the one thing you wish you knew when you started taking pictures? 
I just wish I knew that the future held a successful business for me, I think it would have helped my confidence in growing a lot knowing that everything was going to be ok!

What type of style do you choose for your portraits? 
I'm not sure what I would call my style.. maybe like colorful and light-filled?



Do you collaborate well with second shooters or assistants? 
Since I don't shoot weddings and just do smaller portrait shoots, I don't really need a second shooter or assistant ever!


From your point of view, what makes a good picture? 
Good light, good styling, good hair and makeup, and a good connection with your subject so that they have a genuine expression.


Which one is your favorite lenses and why do you prefer it? 
My canon 85mm 1.2 is my absolute favorite- I love the bokeh it creates in the background and how sharp it is!

What is your opinion, is the most important to consider while shooting portraits? 
The comfort level of your client. If they aren't comfortable with you, it's going to show in their photos! Make sure you get to genuinely know them and let them know exactly what to do while you are shooting.

In your free time, what kind of pictures do you like to shoot and which ones do you avoid? 
I just take pictures on my phone of my friends mostly! I'll set up just for fun shoots as well with models as a creative outlet which is always fun.

How do you feel about your first portrait compared to now? 
Oh my gosh, I can't even look at my first portrait! Although it's fun to see how much progress I've made since I first started!


What does photography mean to you? 
I just love being able to take a photo of someone and create something they'll always be able to look back at and be reminded of a certain time in their life! 

How important is it for a photographer to “connect” with their clients to bring out their true self? 
100% most important thing ever. Just talk to them like they are your friend and ask them lots of questions!

Do you shoot anything else besides portraits? 
No, portraits all the way! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment