Monday, March 19, 2018

Interview with Shelby Blaton- by Khya Francisco

Shelby Blaton lives in Salem Oregon and works as a portrait photographer. She is an amazing, kind, and understanding women. Through her friend Crystal we were able to set up a phone interview at noon on Thursday March 16th. I was nervous because it was a new experience for me. I called Mrs. Blaton and she seemed more then excited about getting to talk to me. So we talked for a  moment so that we could get comfortable before I started asking questions.
Are you native to Oregon?
"Yes both my husband and I were born in Oregon but when he joined the  navy we moved to California and then Virginia." I was both happy and surprised.
What made you decide that you wanted to become specialized in portraiture photography?
 "Honestly I didn't even plan on becoming a photographer I was going to be a nurse." I was shocked but also impressed. This question also lead her to answer other questions I had planed to ask her about. Has your family helped inspire you? How did the idea of being a photographer come to you? Her journey as a photographer started with something of great value to Mrs. Blaton, her own daughter. "I wanted to remember my daughter's smile." I loved hearing that answer, because to me family is the most important thing to cherish of all. A friend of her's saw her work and wanted Mrs. Blaton to take some photos for her. As more people asked her to take photos for them she grew to love the hobby which then grew to a passionate career choice. I did ask one question that I was eager to ask her about.
Why is capturing the emotion and personality of the person so important? For a while now I could feel that it was important to capture the emotion but the word the kept popping up was why.
"That's a great question." I smiled hearing that come from Mrs. Blaton. "If you just take a picture then it's just a picture. (She's referring to without emotion in a picture.) If you catch the light in their eyes, or their smile... (which would then) connect the photo to real emotion." Before our interview ended she even asked me a question. After about 15 minutes we ended are interview. An answer that I was wanting to have answered finally was, thanks to the caring and understanding Mrs. Blaton.

No comments:

Post a Comment