Wednesday, February 24, 2016

PHOTOGRAPHER INTERVIEW- VELVET HARRIOT

1.) How long have you been a photographer?
I've been photographing anything and everything that would stand still since I was a tween! I didn't start photographing professionally until I was in my early 20's when I had the support from my fiance and a drive to create a business I love!
2.) What inspires you most when it comes to photography?
My favorite style of photography would have to be lifestyle.  Seeing raw emotions always touches me.  My favorite portraits that I take are generally the less posed and more real moments that my wedding couples have together.  I love finding those couples that are willing to just be themselves with each other and me.
3.) What made you want to start your own business?
My Mother told me to, and I loved it! Haha :) I really enjoy the challenge of photographing a person who is self proclaimed "terrible in front of the camera".  At this point in my career though, I really enjoy the relationships that I get to be a part of and getting to use my creative side in a way that supports myself and my family.  Doing what you love isn't something everyone gets to do and I'm determined to not take that for granted!
4.) What's your "must haves" when it comes to camera gear?
I'm currently LOVING my 85mm and full frame Nikon.  I did a lot of work with my crop sensor and I'm still crazy proud of how much I learned from that, but once you go full frame, you never go back.
5.) How are you able to make people feel comfortable in front of the camera? Do you have any special tricks up your sleeve?
It truly depends on who you're working with! Don't be afraid to be yourself.  I personally friend all of my clients on Facebook/Instagram and allow them to see some of my personal life.  I don't post anything political/religious/inflammatory.  I usually post things my 3 ladies say, or fun outings that my family goes on, that way when I'm in the room with a bride/groom on their big day or out at a family session we have things to talk about.  They feel like they already know me and vice versa!
 
6.) Do you prefer Photoshop or Lightroom?
I do most of my post processing in Lightroom, but use Photoshop for more detailed edits!  I think they are both necessary in different ways!
7.) Is portrait work what you want to continue doing or would you rather be doing something else?

I LOVE portrait work.  That being said, I have narrowed my work down to Weddings/Families/Boudoir.  I don't prefer senior work or photographing parties.  I'm sure I will downsize again in the next year on what I want to do.  Some sessions just bring me more joy and that shows in my work.  I want to provide my clients with the absolute best service, and if I don't LOVE what I'm shooting then they aren't getting the best quality from me.  Plus I know lots of wonderful photographers in the area who specialize in different areas and I really enjoy the professional relationships that have developed because of sharing business instead of trying to compete!  It's all about community in the end and this community is pretty dang amazing.








No comments:

Post a Comment