Sunday, March 17, 2019

An Interview with Linnea Osterberg of Linnea Portrait Studio by Cady McLean


A clear crisp day in March, I sat in my living room alone and reviewed the questions I had typed up on my laptop. With a pit in my stomach, I read them aloud to myself and contemplated the importance of each one. These are good questions, these are in the right order, this will be fine. Slowly, meticulously, I packed everything away before leaving my house, climbing in my car, and merging into the hustle and bustle of traffic.

I was on my way to Linnea Portrait Studio in industrial Portland to perform my first ever interview with a photographer.

Linnea Osterberg has been a photographer for over 15 years. Found in “Top Portland Photographer Guide,” and “Best 10 Photographers in Portland,” Linnea’s portraiture focuses on children and families and her clear and distinct style is easy to recognize. I felt connected to Linnea’s journey through her background with children and families, as I myself was a preschool teacher for five years before switching careers. I feel lucky to have had this opportunity to have a conversation with someone whose career I admire so greatly.

Upon walking in, I felt instantly welcomed. Linnea introduced herself and offered me a glass of water, which I accepted. I set my phone out on the table and hit record, and we got right into the conversation, talking a bit about me but mostly about her!

Me: Did you have photography in mind while you were studying Child and Family Counseling at Lewis and Clark?

Linnea: No, not at all. I had wanted to take a photography class for a long time, but it had never fit in my schedule for my major. So, when I started at Lewis and Clark, there was a Basic Photography class over at PCC. So, I took that, and then I practiced on the boys that I was a nanny for. I never imagined this being my job. The internship (for family counseling) was not what I imagined it would be. It was not a good fit. So I thought why not try out photography while I’m young.
Me: So did you learn a lot on your own or did you end up going back to school for photography?

Linnea: No, I didn’t got back to school. So, one of my friends in school said, “Let me set you up with my wedding photographer, he is such a nice guy!” So I met up with him and he took me under his wing and taught me a lot of stuff.

Me: So did he do film or was he doing digital?

Linnea: No, he was doing film. This was in like 2001.

Me: Oh okay, and you’re still doing film now, aren’t you?

Linnea: No, I actually quit film like 2 years ago. It just got to be too difficult because not very many vendors were working with film so getting prints made and dealing with re-touching got to be too hard. And now the quality of prints is so good, I’m like, “why did I spend so much time doing film?” I mean, film has it’s own special things, but in terms of running a business I only have this much time to do this project so it just doesn’t really make sense. Unless you charge a ton, and people just don’t care enough that it’s film.

Me: I’ve kind of read about how people think that photography is easy, and so they will go for the cheaper option.

Linnea: Oh, totally.

Me: So you aren’t doing film anymore, but I’ve seen that you stay with black and white. That’s like your signature style, so how did you decide to do black and white instead of color?

Linnea: Yep, that’s all I do. I was just drawn to it. My mentor was a black and white film guy so I just kind of did what he did, and I was really lucky that he was a good fit for me artistically. At the time, black and white was coming back, and it was more unique than color. Also, because not everyone was digital, it was a lot harder to choose this one in color and this one in black and white. You would do all black and white or all color.

Me: When you started with your mentor, were you mostly doing wedding photography with him?

Linnea: No, we would kind of meet during the week for an hour or two here and there and I would bring my latest work and he would critique and give advice. I did go on one wedding shoot with him, but not as like an assistant or a second photographer. He actually already had a second photographer, I was just kind of observing to see how it goes.

Me: So, what kind of work were you doing then compared to your portraiture now?

Linnea: So, I’ve always done children and families. The only time it has been different was the first five years or so, I can’t really remember. In those first years I did a lot of weddings because I needed the income. I really wanted to just do portraits.

Me: Well your portraiture is awesome, but I have another question here: Do you like to practice any other kind of photography? Still lives or anything?

Linnea: I have no real interest in photographing other things. I feel like maybe I should, but I don’t. Ever so slightly maybe food photography, just to see like how they style it, but I feel like as a hobby, not to replace this.  I’m kind of interested in flowers and stuff.

Me: I know you also do lots of work for and with charities, and right now you are working with Pixie Project. Are there any kind of challenges working with pets vs. people, or do you have challenges?

Linnea: [She laughs] Oh yeah, I have challenges. Well, people have always been allowed to bring their dogs and, I guess, cats, but what I didn’t know before I started this Pixie Project work was that people that included their dogs were usually very well trained. The Pixie Project dogs are just like regular dogs, they aren’t exceptionally well trained or badly behaved, they just want to like run around and whatever. I didn’t realize it was going to be like that because when people brought their dogs in the past they were always super calm. And when I’m photographing a dog with their people, that’s one thing, but when it’s a dog by themselves, they like don’t want to be there, they don’t know what to do with themselves.

Me: Are there any other projects you are thinking of doing this year?

Linnea: Yeah, I’m doing something for an organization called the Raphael House, they do services for like domestic violence and they also have services to get people back on their feet. So I’m going to start doing portraits for graduates of their program. So I’m really excited to start doing that.

Me: I think it’s really awesome that you have the opportunity to do that kind of stuff.

Linnea: Oh yeah, me too.

Me: So my next question kind of changes the subject, is there anyone in the photography world that you look to for inspiration?

Linnea: So what I really like about this job is that there’s kind of two different jobs in one. So there’s the photography piece of it, and there’s also the business piece of it that requires a totally different set of skills and day-to-day tasks. So most of what I look up now is mostly related to the business part of it. When I want to look at photography, I really like to look at old old stuff that I don’t necessarily even know who the photographer is. I do like Imogen Cunningham, like her flowers and things. I wouldn’t say I look at many photos, I’m more interested in like a biography or something for inspiration. I read a really great quote the other day, “When you’re walking into a room, think about all the women that paved the way for you to do what you are doing now,” or something like that. It was really great for inspiration.

Me: Yeah, that is nice. I like that. Part of the discussions in my classes right now are the differences and importance of being a male photographer or female photographer, and how it affects the photos that you take. Do you feel like that is true for your work at all?

Linnea: I mean, it has to, because that is my identity.  I think also other parents may trust me more because of that stereotype with like women and kids working together. There has been a huge shift in the industry where more women are getting into it than men or than there are men. I was kind of surprised when I read that this field was so male dominated.

Me: Well, that leaves me with one last question, and because I’m a student I feel like I have to ask this question: Do you have any advice for first year photography students?

Linnea: Yes! Remind me what is the name of your program?

Me: It’s a two year program that is an Associates of Applied Sciences Integrated Media: Photography degree. That’s the whole title.

Linnea: So you’re only studying photography?

Me: Yeah

Linnea: That’s so cool! So what are the classes you are taking?

Me: So we are doing a lot of studio lighting this term and next term, and we are starting Photoshop. Do you use Photoshop at all?

Linnea: Ahh Photoshop. I don’t.

Me: Well, it’s kind of nice to know that you can be successful without using Photoshop, cuz it can be kind of intimidating!

Linnea: Yeah, it is intimidating. In terms of re-touching images and stuff, you have to, as a business, determine if it is worth your time. It’s like, am I going to sit here and learn how to do Photoshop or work on the next project? So, I wish I knew a little bit about it, and it’s good to know, but for a portrait studio it doesn’t make any sense at all.

Me: That’s good to know! I’m really hoping to have my own business and studio and do this kind of thing. And the business aspect of it is really interesting and learning how to market yourself and what not.

Linnea: Yeah it totally is! But it is HARD. Well, maybe it’s not hard for you. But the reason it is hard for me is: “Look how good I am.” And that is not something that comes natural to me. It doesn’t mean I can’t do it, or won’t do it, I mean it’s my business. I did a lot of stuff I really wasn’t happy with, but that’s what you have to do if this is the kind of job you want to have.

Me: So is there anything specific you would recommend doing?

Linnea: Oh yeah, right! [We share a laugh] Is there anything I would recommend? Well, when I first started I did not have any money. I went to Powell’s, there was a book there called “How to Market Black and White Portraits,” and it was used and it was $19.95 and I was like, “Oh man, twenty bucks?” But I bought it and read it and I did literally everything she said to do. I didn’t know what to do, so I thought, “I guess I’ll do that!” So basically, I would tell you to read, A LOT. When I first started and I had no clients, I would be like, “Okay, this is my job.” So I would go to the library and I would read for 40 hours a week. So the other book I would recommend is called, “You are a Badass at Making Money,” It is so good.

Me: That sounds motivating!

Linnea: Yeah it really is good. And I mean if I didn’t have my mentor, I wouldn’t have gotten as good at photography. But he really is just a mentor in photography, he’s not really good like in business. He’s definitely an artist. He does mostly landscapes and stuff now on platinum film. So he didn’t help me as much with the business side of it and marketing myself, I had to learn that.

Me: Yeah, something I personally am struggling with is gaining that confidence to run a business and market myself that way.

Linnea: I mean, the more you do and the more situations you encounter, the better. So, the sooner you get to those different situations and deal with them, the better you will be able to handle them later when they come back up.

Me: That is true. That is good advice! And thank you so much for agreeing to do this with me!

After exchanging Instagram accounts, and thanking Linnea again as much as I could, I headed back out into the world. It was almost surreal getting in the elevator, texting my boyfriend and telling him how awesome of an experience I just had, and taking a deep breath. I walked outside and got in my car like I was totally normal, but I still had a huge smile on my face as I drove to school. I was late for class that afternoon, but this interview felt worth it!

Thanks again, Linnea!

No comments:

Post a Comment