Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Palacios - An Interview with Lorenzo Triburgo


As a non-binary/genderqueer individual, it's been hard to find art and artists that really speak to me, that I can really connect with and feel like it touches me. Claude Cahun, Cindy Sherman, and Francesca Woodman are a few, but none have really hit me in the gut more so than Lorenzo Triburgo. Specifically, his Transportraits showed me that there are others like me, that are struggling and growing and beautiful.

I am honored to have had the chance to talk to and interview Lorenzo and to share his work with everyone in the world. He deserves all the recognition he can get!



Angel: When did you know you wanted to be a photographer?
Lorenzo: I arrived at feminism and art at the same time, when I was in high school. The hypocrisy and injustices I witnessed made me want to do something to change them. I was either going to become an ACLU lawyer or an artist. When I was in college I started out undeclared and then realized that making art was what truly called to me.





Angel: When did you know, or realize, you were going to photograph trans and LGBTQ+ individuals?
Lorenzo: In 2008, when I was 27, I came out as trans/gender-nonconforming. I knew I wanted to create a project that addressed my trans, genderqueer experience, and that at the forefront of the project needed to be the fallacy of a fixed gender identity, affixed to the biological. With Transportraits, I wanted to present the Natural as a fabrication, linking to a critique of the idea of gender as something natural.


Angel: How long have you been taking photos? How long in the LGBTQ+ community?
Lorenzo: Taking photos since i was around 11. My dad went back to college when I was a kid and took a photo class as an elective. I was enthralled with his 35mm Canon.


Angel: What drives you to be a better photographer?
Lorenzo: Changing the world.

Angel: What has your photography taught you about yourself, if anything at all?
Lorenzo: Everything! Not even kidding. Learning about the history of photography taught me that I was not alone in my gender identity or sexuality. Discovering the artist Claude Cahun when I was in college during the first exhibit of Cahun’s work in the U.S. was life-changing. You can read more about my thoughts on this here: http://www.mfaphoto.sva.edu/alice/2017/10/16/lorenzo-triburgo-and-policing-gender

Angel: How has being a part of the Trans Community changed your art? Do you feel like it has?
Lorenzo: I can’t separate my experience of being trans, being a feminist, and my art making. These all contribute to my life as a whole - to my worldview. When I was in grade school I wanted to play drums in the “fife and drum” marching band of my catholic school. But, only “boys” were allowed to play the drums. “Girls” had to play the fife. I recognized this as “unfair” (now I’d call it sexist) and feel like I was keen to recognizing inequality from then on. Being queer, being situated on the margins of dominant society, has had a similar impact. I recognize inequalities (and they piss me off!) because I am on the outside of the dominant narrative. This perspective influences my art practice.


Angel: Do you have any meaningful advice for a first-year
photography student? Tips?
Lorenzo: Look at so much art! Not just photography. Use your “down time” to watch meaningful films. Go to galleries and museums as often as possible. See things in-person! Look into the Society for Photographic Education (SPE) and in particular the SPE LGBTQ Caucus.

And, take all criticism with a grain of salt. *Speak your truth no matter what and you’ll have the gift of a meaningful life.



*Note: Figure out what your truth is by making art. And, remember, don’t come out if it isn’t safe or the right time for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment