Saturday, March 16, 2019

Informational Interview W/ Zair Santos - Amy Lor

I interviewed Zair Santos. He's a portrait photographer based in the PNW. I love what he does and how he edits his photos. His photos may be simple but it still captures my eyes.


A: How and when did you become a photographer?

Z: After I graduated high school in 2015 I lost motivation to draw or paint. Because I was no longer creating to crate but creating something for a grade. Fast Forward to the middle of 2017 I was craving to create anything so I started picking up different hobbies in the arts. Photography was one of those hobbies.


A: What's something you'll tell a beginner portrait photographer?


Z: My biggest advice for portrait photographers or any photographer, in general, always keeps shooting and learn how to direct and communicate with people. So many photographers don't know how to direct their subject and the subject is left guessing what you want.






A: What does photography means to you?


Z: It means going out there and creating something with someone. Putting in the time effort into manifesting a concept from the ground up.


A: What motivates you to keep shooting portraits?


Z: The people I met and the people I will meet, that's what motivates me to keep going. Photography has placed me in front of so many great people that I would have never met if I didn't do this.




A: Is photography career or passion for you? Maybe both?


Z: Photography started off as a passion and has slowly grown into a career I can see myself doing.

A: Was portrait photography your first pick? If so why? If not, what was your first pick and how did you get into portrait photography?


Z: I am a very antisocial person so no portrait photography was not my first pick, I never thought I would actually be doing this. When I first started photography I thought I would be doing landscapes and street photography. But portrait forced me to go out there and socialize with people. I'd go to car meets, downtown Portland or ask friends o walk around Portland with me and they would be my subject.





A: Which photographer influenced you, how did they influence you in photography?


Z: Herb Garzon, Jay Buezo and Vincent (Vi) Trinh are a few local photographers who motivate and have inspired me. The way Herb and Jay capture people is like a painting, unreal. They forced me to think outside of the box and think of new ways of capturing a portrait. Vincent has a way of capturing people's stories. I try and replicate that in my work, making sure the photo gives an emotion when you look at it.


A: How much time do you usually spend shooting and editing photos?


Z: Shooting can take up to anytime from 30 mins to a whole day depending on the concept and location. As far as editing I try to pump out my stuff within three days of shooting. So from 10 pm to 2 am for about 2-3 days.




No comments:

Post a Comment