Sunday, March 17, 2019

An interview with Danielle Denham, The PDX Photographer by Bethany Fallgren

Back in February I was sitting and enjoying a recent episode of Oregon Field Guide on PBS and came across the story featuring Danielle Denham. She is a photographer that focuses on urban landscapes and was doing a story about the iconic Nelson house out in Dufur, Oregon, that burned down in the substation fire last summer. I found her photography very inspiring and she was immediately the fist person I thought of when assigned to conduct an interview. It was very exciting to hear back from her and make a connection with someone with similar goals and aspirations. We turned out to have a lot in common and gives me hope for the future.
Danielle, thank you so much for taking the time to respond and answer my questions. 

Bethany: Where are you from, tell me a little about yourself?

Danielle: I was born and raised a native here in Oregon...Forest Grove, to be exact. A true small-town girl!

Bethany: What factors inspired you to become a photographer?

Danielle: Growing up I was always creative. Drawing, painting, mixed media, and clay arts...you name it. In high school I took a lot of art classes, and added a film photography course my sophomore year. Developing and making my own prints was fascinating, but it was a skill I put on the back-burner until years later. When I finally realized all the freedom and creativity the digital lens had to offer I was sold, and purchased my first DSLR.
Bethany: Did you have any doubts and or difficulties starting your career?

Danielle: Always, and I still do, lol. I worked 17 years at a dead-end job I despised, and one day I knew I'd had enough. Taking the leap of faith to focus solely on my photography was one of the most liberatingly-scary things I've ever done.

Bethany: Any current struggles?

Danielle: Of course. The unfortunate part of this career path is that there are many, MANY, other creatives out there trying to make a living too. It's very competitive, and I've found very quickly that supporting yourself fully on print sales, portraits, and wedding shoots is difficult at best, especially for an introvert like me. Income is sporadic at best, but you learn to make sacrifices.
Bethany: What do you enjoy most about being a photographer?

Danielle: That I get to travel as an excuse for business. I've been able to see every corner of Oregon, and the freedom is wonderful!

Bethany: Any advice for a photographer starting her career at 35 years old and nervous about it?

Danielle: Let your work speak for itself. Develop your own style and don't get caught up in the trends of Instagram.

Bethany: What do you think makes you stand out the most and able to be recognized by sources like Oregon Field Guide?

Danielle: Photographing abandoned houses and structures isn't everyone's cup of tea for sure. But it is a niche that many find fascinating for various reasons. They may be history buffs, locals, or lovers of filth and decay. Whatever it is that compels viewers and clients, I try to capture the beauty in things that many would dismiss as trash or an eyesore. Not everyone can do that.
Bethany: Is there anywhere in Oregon/NW you haven’t explored yet that you are interested in shooting?

Danielle: I want to explore Southern Oregon more for sure! The Oregon Caves is a location I'm planning a visit to, as well as Lindsey Gulch in the Owyhees. The night shoots I've seen others do there are extraordinary.

Bethany: Besides your 6D, what other cameras have you shot with and or enjoy?

Danielle: I have so much love for my little old Pentax K1000, the first film camera I owned and shot with. Likewise for the Canon Rebel series, which I can't recommend enough for someone starting out. They may not be pro quality, but with upgraded glass I shot images with that body I still sell prints of today.

Bethany: Any current or future projects you are excited about that we should keep an eye out for?

Danielle: Ask me in six months. ;) Until then, watch for me and say hi when you see me around some deserted country back road in the middle of nowhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment