Saturday, March 16, 2019

Interview with Beth Olson- by Britney Luster

I interviewed Portland Oregon alternative photographer Beth Olson. I came upon her by just looking at Portland photographers and I loved her work. She's definitely not what you would call traditional. Beth projects body positivity greatly and that is one of my favorite things about her. Her responses were quick and she seems to be completely reliable. 

B: How long have you been a photographer?


O: "Short Answer is that I've been doing this full time for 7 years. 

Before that though, I was a photographer for my HS newspaper. In college I always had a photography class on my schedule even though I had like 5 different majors, non of which was photography and I ran the darkroom for at least 3 years. I was always the friend with the camera and I have quite a collection of documentary images from my 20's and 30's of house parties, game days, hanging out in the back yard, weekend kickball games, roller derby practice. Just a whole lot of slice-of-life stuff that wasn't necessarily special or interesting but I felt a need to document it for some reason." 

B: What really made you want to become a photographer?

O: "Well, I made the mistake of listening to other people who told me "being a photographer is not a job." So instead of doing the thing I really wanted to do and study I believed that wasn't a viable option so I eventually landed in graphic design. Once I graduated and started freelancing with that I always included photography in my various design packages and little by little I realized I was getting a lot of requests for just photography (haha! I really wasn't very good at the creative element of graphic design). So in 2012 I decided I'd stop promoting my design and just take a year to focus solely on building the photography aspect of my work and see if it was worth doing exclusively."

B: Did anyone inspire your work, if so, who?

O: "Oh yikes, hahah! That's a massive question because there are so many influences and not just other photographers. I technically have 3 different brands (branding/commercial, non-traditional weddings, and body positive intimate portraits) professionals and professors love to encourage photographers to develop their own style with the idea that they'll get hired for that style. And maybe that works for people who are going into photography as fine art only but if you're hoping to make a living working with real world clients I think you have to be a lot more flexible, skilled and knowledgeable than that.
I could go on but if you're just looking for a list of people out there who I think are awesome, here are some that are classic and current that I particularly love.
Farzana Wahidy, Holly Andres, Rob Woodcox, Mary Ellen Mark, Tina Modotti, , Pete Souza, Vivian Maier, Fer Juaristi, Amanda Diaz, Yagazie Emezi, Annie Leibovitz, Emily Soto, Mary Ellen Matthews, Benjamin VonWong, Teri Hofford, Andrew Thomas Clifton, Jonas Peterson...
You get the idea. I could list a hundred people who's work is amazing and inspiring, and that's just in the photography world!"

B: Describe one of your favorite memories of a photo you’ve taken.

O: "I was sent out to cover the Oregon Supreme Court vote on striking down the ban on same-sex marriage. It was announced that it had passed and all the people there waiting with their partners and their families erupted into cheers and tears and we were all hugging anyone near us, complete strangers. There was such immense joy and it felt a little dream like because it kind of happened so fast that it was hard to wrap our heads around the fact it was suddenly legal. I don't think most of us really expected to see that in our lifetime. They immediately started giving marriage licenses and  I captured a photo of the first couple in Oregon to be legally married. It was the couple who'd brought the original lawsuit to the court and was the reason it was legalized. It's not a particularly great photo technically speaking. The light's not all that interesting and the white balance is weird from the mix of indoor overhead lights in the government building but the energy and the emotion in that image captures what it felt like to be there really well and every time I looks at it I feel the mix of feelings all over again."


B: What have you learned about yourself through your journey of taking photos?

O: "I think probably the biggest thing (or maybe the thing I've just realized most recently) is that I have a lot to say but I have to be willing to be quite and shut out the constant influx of what other people are doing so I can really listen to my heart. When I stop trying to keep up with the "cool kids" my work is stronger, more exciting and people respond to it. Also, the way you run your business and the experience you give your clients might even be more important than the images themselves."

B: If you had to make a film of your life, what’s the title, who would direct it, and what would be your opening song?

O: "I have no idea. haha! I just turned 40 (holy crap!) but I feel like I'm just now starting to feel like ME. Suddenly things are really falling into place, I have more confidence than ever, life makes sense (even when it's fucked up or confusing or sad) so I guess, ask me in 10 years I'll have a better idea. I hope the opening song would be something like "The Boys Want to Be Her" by Peaches."


B: What is something you hope to accomplish within the next year or two?

O: "I'd really like to be hosting 2 photography events a year where photographers come to a cool place and spend a few days shooting models and each other, eating good food, pushing their creative limits with new skills, engaging in self-care and building in-person friendships with others in the industry."

I really enjoyed emailing Beth and hearing back from her, I hope our paths cross in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment