Sunday, March 17, 2019

Interview: Michael Henley


Michael Henley      Image result for michael henley photography


1)  Q: If you could go back in time, and pick photography as a career again, would you do it?

A: I have no regrets, as to what I’ve done, If I was starting now I probably wouldn't. I do not like the way the Technology is evolving. So if I went back knowing what I know now, I wouldn't.
I’ve actually thought about that some.

2)  Q: (Have you really?)

A: Oh Yeah, when you get to be as old as I am, you get to thinking about things. You know, Did I screw up everything?!?
I intended to be a teacher, with history, but on the sidelines I wound up being a photography instructor. So I still got to teach, It worked out fine, and I’m pretty happy over all.
There’s some things in the “business model” I would have done differently.

3)  Q: (What are those, what would you have done differently Business wise?)

        A: Welp, maybe I wouldn't. I never made “making money” more important than being able to meet with people. I didn't want my clients priced out of the market for good photography. Because of that, I probably didn't maximize the amount of money I could have made. But, when I look back now, I’m really fine with how things worked out. Can't complain.

4)  Q: Going back in time again, Do you remember the first photo you took  that you super proud of?
   
   A: Wow, that would have been in high school. I’m not sure I remember a specific one. But, because I was working for the yearbook, I got confident enough where I could go out and do a project knowing that It would be successful.

5)  Q: Do you have a favorite project that you've worked on?

     A: I don't know if I have one, It's really whatever I’m doing at the moment. I find the process more interesting than the end result. I like to solve the problem, make all the pieces fit. To me the problem solving is the most fascinating part of the entire thing.
With people, the problem is gaining their trust. A commercial job, the problem is usually more technical.
I’m the lighting guy for Art Wowlfe. I’m not creating the photos, just making it work for him. Once I understand what he wants I light it and I find that very satisfying. Problem solving and getting to a solution is the part I like.
That's also why I like teaching. Explaining to someone a new skill in a way they can understand and also utilize it, that's the challenge.

6)  Q: this is so basic, but how would you put your own personal style, as a photographer, into words?

A: I was afraid you were gonna ask that. I can’t do that. Because it’s not a verbal thing it’s visual. But I tend to be more interested in details. I prefer the pieces that make up the overall thing, rather than the actual thing.

7)  Q: Can you tell me about one of your first major projects/Jobs you worked on?

   A: 40 years ago? Yeah! I remember one I’d screwed up on.
8)  Q: Can you tell me about that one?
      
    A: Well, I kind of screwed up on it. It was for a company that made business machines, which they have a very specific colors and shades, that all the machines are. So when I shot, I forgot to do a reference for each color, like a gray card or something. I had to go back latter, unscrew a side plate, and take that to the color printers so that they could match it. Never forgot a gray card after.

9)  Q: So, you told me about your first screw up. Could you tell me about one of your first successes?
    A: Yeah, I can. So this was back in the late 60’s, Portland was tearing down huge cast iron Victorian era buildings. Basically my group was salvaging building parts/ cast iron facades. The architect I was working with was writing a book called “The Grand Era of Portland Cast Iron Architecture” so I got to go around photographing old buildings and their rubble for his book. It was a labor of love, all volunteer, so that was pretty cool. Very rewarding.

10)  Q: As a new photographer, is there any advice you could give as I start this new journey in my life?

    A: You really just need to stay true to yourself. If you start losing who you are and your identity, then your craft will go away as well. How you see, view and put emotional investment in this world is import. Because what makes you a good artist, is you.


No comments:

Post a Comment