Monday, February 6, 2017

Blogger Profile - Alyssa Davis





My name is Alyssa Davis. I am currently studying to become a photographer. This is my second term in college at Mt. Hood Community College.  I am Catholic.  I have been Catholic for about three years now.  I have been a photographer for the last several months, beginning in the summer of 2016.  I mostly do landscape photography at the moment, but have been incorporating portraits as well.  I am currently starting to do this, but especially once I graduate from college, I am going to travel to all the Native American Reservations in the US and Canada and take pictures of what is going on there.  I want to expose what they have been going through for years. I also want to help send the message out that Native Americans are still around, but they don’t look like the stereotype that we have been raised with.  
I am also very interested in US History and genealogy.  I have been able to trace most of my family line back to Pocahontas on one side of the family by simply using Google.  I have found out through that research that I am Cherokee, Irish, Scottish, English, German, French, Italian, and Russian.  So far, that’s all I know.  
I am very passionate about standing up for Native Americans and their welfare.  For the last four years I have been working with a Native American organization called Wiconi (pronounced “we-cho-nee”) International.  They are a Christian organization that works with natives of all tribes all over the world to help them realize that they can still be a native peoples and still worship God.  For example, they have an annual powwow in Turner, Oregon, where we all get together to worship God together by “dancing our prayers”, as the founder, Richard Twiss stated.  He taught that by dancing in your native way, that you are praising God in the way He created you to be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment